Mackintosh Building Survey
Date of building 1890-1, 1898-9, 1904 and 1913
Listing Category : B
OS grid coordinates : NS 56281 67493
Postcode : G12 9LL
Mackintosh Architecture reference : M028
RCHAMS Site No : NS556NE 1148
A survey report was prepared as part of the Mackintosh Building Survey project commissioned by the Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society and funded by The Monument Trust. The objective of the project is to undertake building surveys with a view to determining the current condition of a range of prioritised Mackintosh buildings and related works, including interiors and gravestones. The work was undertaken by Simpson & Brown Architects and Page\Park Architects with the range of approximately 40 projects being allocated between the practices.
A key resource in undertaking research on any of Mackintosh's work is the Mackintosh Architecture-Context, Making and Meaning website, this resulting from a major project led by The Hunterian, University of Glasgow, funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council; with additional support from The Monument Trust, The Pilgrim Trust and the Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art; and collaborative input from Historic SCotland and the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The information included here for ease of reference and completeness is drawn from that site.
The survey was undertaken by Mr John Sanders of Simpson & Brown on 11th September 2015 (c).
The building is a beautiful Gothic Revival church by James Sellars. It is a remarkable 19th-century church and the work associated with Mackintosh is restricted to furnishings; it should be noted that most of the joinery associate with Mackintosh is not in its original position and the panels have suffered some minor surface damage that can easily be made god by decorative repair. Much of the 19th century detail from the original construction is still in position including the painted ceiling, the Gothic trusses in the roof and glazed partitions. The building is in fair condition. There is relatively little staining or blistering on the inside apart from the north (liturgically west) wall where evaporation from saturated masonry has pushed off paint in the NW corner. There are some drips and loss of paint in the northern part of the west aisle.
The design of the church appears to have been an exceptionally altar-focused or Anglican pattern for Presbyterian worship with an apse to the south and a tester above. The changes for Orthodox worship have altered the interior visually but have had relatively minimal physical impact on the significance or understanding of the building. An iconostasi has been fitted across the apse.
The characteristic Mackintosh detail is on the posts in the rails around the former sanctuary. These posts and rails have been moved. They do not fit together correctly where they have been re-assembled. The sections between the posts are simple Gothic Revival with no Mackintosh character. The posts are undoubtedly Mackintosh with vertical panels at the centre, with each panel being slightly different. The panels rise to a flattened organic shaped cope. There are six posts altogether, the one shown below is on the left hand side when facing the iconostasi.
Above the door to the east is a curious Gothic Revival canopy which bears some traces of Mackintosh detail particularly the use of ovals in the tracery. The two panels on the side have standard crockets but the tracery within the gable and the blind tracery below
At the western end under the gallery there is a panel which also has characteristic Mackintosh detail. They have a similar design as other posts. Within the panel below there is a curious mix of standard trefoil arches but the open work above it has a sinous
quality which might be Mackintosh. Although the condition of this panel is fair, it is not in its original position and it has been recycled and remounted at the back of the church in a block which includes plywood. The timber tracery continues to remain in good condition except for the central panel where the tracery has been entirely broken away. The two pictures below show details of this panel and its post fixings.